Why I Traveled Across The World For Prostate Cancer Treatment
When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I was determined to find the best care and treatment. As an orthopedic surgeon, I have traveled the world delivering lectures. After receiving my diagnosis, I knew that I would have to make a decision about undergoing surgery or radiation therapy.
I consulted some of the best surgeons and oncologists in the world but wanted to do my own research to see what was best for me. I wanted to avoid permanent side effects, so I decided to explore different types of radiation therapy. My biopsy showed that the cancer had not spread, but the tumor was beginning to grow outside of my prostate.
Researching prostate cancer treatment and deciding on MD Anderson
I live in India, but had my MRI and biopsy reviewed by multiple doctors worldwide. I eventually decided on a hospital in California. In January 2020, I started treatment with hormone therapy there. I had to wait eight weeks before I could start radiation therapy, so I used that time to continue educating myself. I wanted to learn more about my cancer and the treatment I was about to get.
I requested a consultation with Dr. Frank at MD Anderson. After meeting him in person, I knew he personified the spirit of MD Anderson. He brings new ideas and technologies to cancer treatment. He lives the dream of Making Cancer History®. My wife and I trusted Dr. Frank, so we decided to move my treatment to MD Anderson.
Undergoing MARS brachytherapy and proton therapy treatment for prostate cancer
Best Hospital To Treat Prostate Cancer
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch rightfully deserves to be considered the best hospital to treat prostate cancer in.
The cancer center provides a full range of diagnostics for prostate cancer, and treatment with radical prostatectomy, conventional radiation therapy, brachytherapy, high intensity focused ultrasound, transurethral prostate electroresection, and Lutetium-177 PSMA therapy.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch treats thousands of patients every year, helping them overcome various medical conditions with the latest and most innovative treatment technologies.
What Is Cost Of Prostate Cancer Treatment In Hyderabad
Cost ofprostate cancer treatment in Hyderabadmay vary fromRs. 3,50,000 to Rs. 7,00,000. Prostate cancer treatment cost in Hyderabad depends upon many factors such as type of surgery, grade of the cancer, room selection for hospital stay, cashless facility such as insurance, corporate. Mentioned below different surgical treatment options and their cost accordingly:
- Radical Laparoscopic Prostatectomy cost in Hyderabad – Rs. 4,50,000 to Rs. 5,00,000
- Robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy cost in Hyderabad – Rs. 6,50,000 to Rs. 7,00,000
- Open radical prostatectomy cost in Hyderabad – Rs. 3,00,000 to Rs. 3,50,000
Why Pace Hospitals?
- 150+ bedded super speciality hospital, CGHS & ISO accreditation.
- NABH and NABL accreditation.
- State-of-the-art Liver and Kidney transplant centre.
- Empanelled with all TPAs for smooth cashless benefits.
- Centralized HIMS .
- Computerized health records available via website.
- Minimum waiting time for Inpatient and Outpatient.
- Round-the-clock guidance from highly qualified surgeons and physicians.
- Standardization of ethical medical care.
- 24X7 Outpatient & Inpatient Pharmacy Services.
- State-of-the-art operation theaters.
- Intensive Care Units with ISO-9001 accreditation.
Read Also: Can Losing Weight Shrink Prostate
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Baltimore Md
The Bayview location of Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center specializes in Breast Cancer, Esophageal Cancer, and Lung Cancer. The Sidney Kimmel Center is the only one in Maryland, and one of only 71 in the country, designated by the National Cancer Institute as a Comprehensive Cancer Center.
You May Like: What Percentage Of Males Get Prostate Cancer
Morgan Bettini Ms Rd Ld E
- Nutrition Advisor
- Ms. Bettini has a passion for connecting with patients through evidence based nutrition.
- Registered Dietitian, Emory Proton Therapy Center
- Dr. Bilen is actively involved in clinical research and patient care in the area of genitourinary cancers.
- Director, Genitourinary Medical Oncology Program, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University
- Ms. Bond offers personalized nutrition advice to optimize health throughout the stages of cancer, from diagnosis to survivorship.
- Registered Dietitian, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University
- Dr. Brachman provides patients with cancer with relief from their symptoms and helps improve their quality of life throughout their journey.
- Assistant Medical Director, Outpatient Palliative and Supportive Care, Emory Healthcare
- Dr. Brown specializes in treating patients with genitourinary cancers.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine
- Mr. Brown works with gastrointestinal, genitourinary, breast cancer, brain cancer, gynecological, aerodigestive, and sarcoma patients at Emory University Hospital Midtown.
- Social Worker, Medical Oncology, Emory University Hospital Midtown
- Dr. Browne’s primary clinical focus is in general urology and endourology, including treatment of urologic cancers.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Urology, Emory University School of Medicine
Diagnosis And Imaging Services For Prostate Cancer
At UT Southwestern, our dedication to precision starts with prompt and accurate diagnosis. Our highly accurate diagnostic techniques include:
- Digital rectal examinations
- TRUS/MRI-guided biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy
If a patient is diagnosed with prostate cancer, our physicians will develop a unique plan of care. Because the disease usually grows slowly, we might recommend a watch-and-wait approach, also known as active surveillance, which involves close monitoring without treatment.
For patients who do require treatment, we offer advanced techniques that include medical therapies, radiation therapy, and surgery.
Our urologists and radiologists work together to provide additional options for men with suspected or confirmed prostate cancer, including MRI-guided transurethral ultrasound ablation of the prostate .
Arrangement Of Treatment In Germany
Not every patient can correctly plan and organize treatment in Germany. To do this, you need to choose a clinic, get in touch with its administration, overcome the language barrier, and get an invitation from the head physician. Then, you need to issue a visa, get to Germany, and travel from the airport to the clinic. Before this, you need to translate the medical documentation into German. In Germany, you need to find an interpreter so you can communicate with the administration and medical staff of the clinic.
To avoid unnecessary hassle and temporary and economic costs, use the services of Booking Health for the organization of treatment abroad. We will select the best clinic for you, where you can go for treatment very shortly.
In addition, we will help you to:
- Issue a visa and translate the documentation into German
- Save up to 70% of the cost of the medical services
- If necessary, arrange an urgent doctors appointment in any medical institution in Germany
You will receive health insurance that will protect you from unforeseen expenses associated with the possible development of complications. It means that the originally agreed price of treatment, in any case, will remain unchanged even if additional diagnostic and therapeutic procedures should be required.
Make an application on our website. The specialist at Booking Health will contact you telephonically within the next few hours.
Read Also: Can Prostate Infection Cause Back Pain
Mayo Clinic Rochester Ny
A non-profit organization that values education, research, and whole-person care to their patients from five different states and almost 140 countries. Mayo Clinics International patient offices supply the opportunity for patients around the globe to experience the top-tier Mayo Clinic care.
Doubling as an education and biomedical research center, the Johns Hopkins Hospital has over 40 locations and treats almost 4 million patients each year. Their Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center treats 25 types of cancers with carefully tailored treatment.
What Are The Best Prostate Cancer Centers In Europe
According to Bookimed patients’ opinion, the best prostate and urology cancer treatment centers in Europe are:
- St. Zdislava Hospital . The medical center is among the best places to have Da Vinci prostatectomy . The leading world’s specialists perform the surgery Dt. Jaroslav Tvaruzek and Dr. Azat Hamzin. The price of the procedure is the lowest in Europe but its quality is at the highest level.
- Asklepios Hospital Barmbek . Asklepios provides all treatments for prostate cancer. The hospital takes leading positions in performing HIFU within. Over 500 procedures have been carried out here.
If you need any assistance in choosing the best hospital for urology cancer treatment in Europe, submit a request.
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Advanced Prostate Cancer
Best Prostate Cancer Treatment In The Uk
The United Kingdom has some of the most advanced medical treatments in Europe. They have various medical research centers trying to find new cancer treatment solutions.
4. Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales
- Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales offers a wide range of amenities for international patients in addition to its detailed treatment options.
- It is one of the three centers in the UK providing Proton Beam Therapy and conventional radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
- The London Clinic became the first private hospital in the UK to use cutting-edge robotic surgery to perform a radical prostatectomy.
- They have a special cancer care unit that provides some of the best treatment for you with the help of expert oncologists.
- The advanced treatments provided by The London Clinic are: Radium-223 Dichloride, Lutetium-177 PSMA for advanced prostate cancer, SpaceOAR hydrogel spacing treatment that can reduce side effects of radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
What Types Of Prostate Cancer Are There
The overwhelming majority of prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, which arises from the glandular component of the prostate.
Other rare and atypical types of prostate cancer include:
- Ductal carcinoma
- Clear cell adenocarcinoma
- Giant cell carcinoma
These rare and atypical variants often act aggressively and may respond differently to therapy than the more common prostate adenocarcinoma. As they are rare, however, most men are unaffected by these atypical variants.
Prostate cancer has changed significantly over the past two decades. Most prostate cancers are now diagnosed in patients at an earlier stage and younger age compared with 20 years ago, largely because of the widespread evaluation of prostate specific antigen, or PSA, levels. Although prostate cancer deaths have decreased in recent years, PSA screening continues to be controversial.
Recommended Reading: How Common Is Prostate Cancer
How Effective Is Hormone Treatment For Prostate Cancer
Hormone therapy or androgen suppression therapy is used for reducing levels of male hormones ), in the body, or to stop them from stimulating prostate cancer cells. Hormone therapy is effective in slowing down the cancer growth or shrink them.
Hormone therapy does not cure alone the prostate cancer, it can be used:
- If the prostate cancer has spread too far and surgery or radiation cant be used
- If the prostate cancer comes back or remains after radiation therapy or surgery
- To make radiation therapy more effective
Watchful Waiting And Active Surveillance
If prostate cancer is in an early stage, is growing slowly, and treating the cancer would cause more problems than the disease itself, a doctor may recommend watchful waiting and active surveillance.
During watchful waiting, routine PSA test, digital rectal examination, and prostate biopsy are not usually done. In case of urine blockage due to prostate cancer then treatment would be initiated to relive symptoms.
Further treatment plan can be discussed based on the patients life expectancy and other illnesses to determine whether watchful waiting and active surveillance is appropriate.
You May Like: How Curable Is Prostate Cancer
What Is Your Five
Very few cancer centers post this information. Here’s one sample from the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York:
The National Cancer Institute says 98.9 percent of all men diagnosed with prostate cancer live more than five years, although the percentage varies based on the stage, as reflected in the chart above. The Martini-Klinik in Hamburg, Germany, the largest prostate cancer treatment center in the world, posts similar 10-year survival rates. And the Cleveland Clinic publishes its five- and 10-year survival rates for low-, intermediate- and high-risk patients, by procedure. Here’s the low-risk chart:
Diagnosis Of Prostate Cancer
The prostate gland is a part of the male reproductive system, it is about the size of a walnut and surrounds part of the urethra and situated in front of the rectum, just below the bladder. The following diagnostic tests used to detect prostate cancer:
Physical Examination Doctor will first take the medical history, health habits, past illness and treatments then will do the physical examination of the body to check the lump or any other signs of disease
Digital rectal examination -The doctor inserts a gloved, lubricated finger into the rectum and feels the prostate through the rectal wall to check for abnormal areas or lumps.
Prostate-specific antigen test:Prostate-specific antigen, is a protein produced by the prostate gland. The Prostate-specific antigen test measures the level of PSA in a mans blood. The blood level of PSA is often elevated in men with prostate cancer, apart from this other non-cancerous conditions such as prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia or enlargement of the prostate can cause an elevation in PSA level.
Transrectal magnetic resonance imaging :A transrectal MRI is done to find out if the cancer has spread outside the prostate into nearby tissues. This procedure is also called nuclear magnetic resonance imaging .
Also Check: Do Females Have A Prostate Gland
Hospitals Ranked By Prostate Cancer Diagnosis Volumes
|Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center||New York|
|William P Clements Jr University Hospital||Dallas|
|City of Hope Helford Clinical Research Hospital||Duarte|
|Orlando Health South Seminole Hospital||Longwood|
|Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania||Philadelphia|
|NYU Langone Hospital – Long Island||Mineola|
|Lahey Hospital & Medical Center – Burlington||Burlington|
|UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion||San Francisco||CA||10,185|
Fig. 1 Data is from the Definitive Healthcare ClaimsMx product for calendar year 2021. Claims data is sourced from multiple medical claims clearinghouses in the United States and is updated monthly. Data is accurate as of August 2022.
Benefits Of Medical Treatment In Germany
The effectiveness of medical treatment of prostate cancer in Germany is associated with the following advantages of German medicine:
- Precise diagnostics, which is necessary for the correct assessment of the treatment tactic
- Use of minimally invasive treatment methods, which is especially important in case of treatment of elderly patients
- Use of the latest techniques
- High-quality medications
- High level of rehabilitation medicine
- Comfortable staying in clinics, that contributes to the recovery of patients
So, when you choose medical treatment in Germany, you choose the best price-quality ratio of medical care and you can be sure that your chances of recovery are maximal.
Also Check: Diet For Prostate Cancer Survivors
Nationally Ranked In Cancer Care
UT Southwestern Medical Center is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation’s top 25 hospitals for cancer care. And we’ve earned High Performing recognition for prostate cancer surgery, placing us among the countrys leading facilities for this procedure.
UT Southwestern Medical Centers prostate cancer program is dedicated to providing new levels of precision to the field of prostate cancer care. With one of the most advanced programs for radiotherapy treatment of prostate cancer in the U.S., we offer the latest treatments that carefully target cancerous cells while leaving the surrounding tissue unharmed.
As the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in North Texas, we deliver the best cancer care available today and push to discover new treatments. NCI designation means we offer patients the ability to participate in the broadest possible range of clinical trials, with access to potential therapies not available at other facilities.
Which Is The Best Treatment For Prostate Cancer
Several treatment options are available in India to cure prostate cancer. Some of these are listed below.
Surgical treatment This involves removal of the prostate gland along with some of the surrounding tissues and some lymph nodes. This is specifically known as radical prostatectomy and it is of two types:
The prostate cancer surgery cost in India is highly affordable as compared to the cost in other developed countries such as the US.
Radiation therapy This involves the use of high-powered energy to kill the cancerous cells. The radiation therapy is usually delivered in two ways:
External beam radiation
Hormone therapy This is done to inhibit the body from producing the male hormone. The male hormone, testosterone is responsible for the growth of prostate cancer cells. By restricting the supply of these male hormones can cause cancer death cells to grow slowly. Hormone therapy includes:
Medications that stop the body to produce testosterone
Medications that block testosterone from reaching cancer cells.
Surgery to remove the testicles
Chemotherapy These include drugs that help in the destruction of rapidly growing cells. The medications can be administered through a vein, oral medications or both.
Read Also: Does Losing Weight Help Enlarged Prostate
The Prostate Is A Small Gland That Produces Seminal Fluid For The Transportation And Nourishment Of Sperm Cancer Of The Prostate Is The Most Commonly Found Cancer In Men
As seen in many other areas of the body, its possible for cancer to develop in the prostate but this usually happens without symptoms. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer that men can suffer from, which is why regular screenings for prostate cancer are essential.
This can be a slowly growing cancer, which means that it may remain in the prostate without spreading for quite some time. However, its also possible that you could suffer from a fast-spreading tumor, which is why early detection is essential. The best way to discover that you might be affected by prostate cancer is by learning more about the screening and who may get this type of cancer.
Causes And Risk Factors
About 14 percent of men are at risk for prostate cancer. Approximately 5 to 10 percent of prostate cancers are hereditary. Other prostate cancers can have underlying environmental causes or can be caused by a combination of environment and genetics.
Family history is the most common risk factor for prostate cancer. Other risk factors such as obesity, smoking, prostatitis, and vasectomy have been suggested to increase the link for prostate cancer. However, a definite association has not been proven.
Patients should speak with a genetic counselor or their doctors for more details about these risk factors and protective factors that might reduce the risk for prostate cancers, as well as screening and preventive options.
You May Like: How Is Radiation Treatment Done For Prostate Cancer