Why Erectile Dysfunction May Result From Prostate Disease
In the past, it was thought that most cases of erectile dysfunction were psychological in origin, the result of such demons as performance anxiety or more generalized stress. While these factors can cause erectile dysfunction, doctors now think that 70% of the time the problem can be traced to a physical condition that restricts blood flow, hampers nerve functioning, or both. Such conditions include diabetes, kidney disease, multiple sclerosis, atherosclerosis, vascular disease, and alcoholism.
However, some types of prostate disease and treatments may also be responsible.
What Is A Healthy Weight
A quick way to check if youre a healthy weight is to measure your waist. Wrap a tape measure around your body, half-way between the top of your hips and the bottom of your ribs. For a man, if your waist size is 94cm or more, youre likely to be overweight. This means you have a higher risk of health problems, possibly including aggressive or advanced prostate cancer.
A healthy weight can also improve your general wellbeing and help to prevent other health problems, such as type-2 diabetes, heart disease and some other cancers.
Visit the NHS website to read about other ways of checking whether youre a healthy weight.
Bigger But Not Better
Prostatic enlargement is pretty much inevitable. The urinary symptoms associated with it are treated with pills called alpha-blockers, which essentially enlarge the urethral channel by relaxing the muscle fibers within it. You can start with herbals like that of the woody shrub saw palmetto, pumpkin seeds , stinging nettle extract, pygeum, rye grass or beta-sitosterol extract and cruciferous vegetables but in randomized trials herbals take a distant second place to alpha blockers. Other drugs called 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors actually shrink the gland by 1/3 of its size and can also help urination. If these pills don’t keep you peeing straight and strong, there are also various indescribable procedures that can remove the excess prostatic tissue. And yes, some of them involve lasers, which you just gotta love.The prostate can also become inflamed, termed prostatitis, which occurs in about 10% of men at least once during their lives. This diagnosis is not subtle as most men with prostatitis pee firewater several times an hour. Ways to avoid this include good hydration, regular, timed voiding and treating BPH when it occurs.
Read Also: Can Prostatitis Heal On Its Own
What Other Bph Treatments Available
Treatments for BPH usually include one or more medications. For example, tamsulosin, finasteride, and others.
But most urologists are open to using phytotherapy, Ayurveda, and other side therapies. Moreover, they also recommend a few lifestyle changes to recover your prostate health.
Heres a list with some of them :
- Rye-grass pollen: Rye-grass pollen used by millions worldwide, and improves the most concerning urinary symptoms. Most patients report they are not urinating so frequently at night and sleeping better.
- Ganoderma lucidum: Extracts prepared with this fungus inhibit prostate growth. It inhibits 5 alpha-reductase, an important hormone in the progression of BPH and prostate cancer.
- Lycopene: Foods with carotenes, including lycopene, can inhibit the progression of BPH. It is found abundantly in tomatoes and other red-colored fruits.
Other recommendations include performing pelvic floor exercises, known as kegel exercises. They are meant to increase control of your pelvic muscle and help you control urination.
It is vital to eat a healthy and balanced diet based on fruits and vegetables. Do not forget to include cruciferous vegetables in your grocery list, and listen to the recommendations by your doctor.
Cut Down Or Cut Out Alcohol And Processed Foods
Both alcohol and processed foods can cause unhealthy inflammation in your body. Youll want to eliminate processed foods, which are also low in nutrients and high in chemicals that could compromise your health.
When you shift your focus around eating to nutrition instead of taste alone, you may find that youre so full of pomegranates and cucumbers and other good foods that you dont have room for nutrition-poor processed foods, alcohol, and other indulgences.
Recommended Reading: Does Enlarged Prostate Affect Ejaculation
Foods High In Curcumin
In this case, we are talking about a spice instead of a nutrient. Thus, we do not have a long list of foods that contain curcumin. The primary source is turmeric, but you can also find curcumin as a powder in the market. Its what gives mustard its yellow color, too.
However, since the daily dose is rather high compared to what we usually have, we recommend using a supplement instead. Other ways you can increase your intake of curcumin is through one of these daily hacks:
- Turmeric smoothie: They taste great if you add whey powder, almond milk, peanut butter, and 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder.
- Turmeric salad dressing: Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and any other spices that go along with the taste.
- Curry sauce recipes: Its an Indian sauce you can find already made in the market or do it yourself with turmeric, margarine, peanut oil, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, coriander, cilantro, chili peppers, and yogurt.
Diagnosis Of Enlarged Prostate Gland And Urinary Problems
If you are troubled by urination problems, see a doctor no matter what your age. If your doctor agrees that your symptoms need further evaluation and treatment, you may need to undergo a few tests.These may include:
- general examination medical history and review of any health conditions including obesity, diabetes, obstructive sleep apnoea, depression and erectile dysfunction. A rectal examination may be done to check the size and shape of your prostate gland
- a urine check to ensure the prostate is not infected
- a flow-rate check to estimate the speed with which you pass urine
- an ultrasound examination to assess if the bladder is emptying completely and to examine your kidneys
- urodynamics a series of tests on the bladder to see how your urinary system is functioning may be recommended in some circumstances.
Recommended Reading: Chemo Pills For Prostate Cancer
If Youre The Receiving Partner
Youll want to be as relaxed and aroused as possible, because itll make the experience easier and more enjoyable.
The whole poop-comes-out-of-the-butt thing gives some people a case of the heebie-jeebies even when its their own butt.
Remedy this by taking a shower and paying a little extra attention back there to get it squeaky clean. Some people like to use an enema before engaging in butt play, but it isnt necessary.
Use the bathroom before getting started. Prostate stimulation can make you feel like you need to pee, and anal penetration can cause the sensation of needing to poop.
Even though you wont actually do either, worrying that you might can interfere with your ability to let go and enjoy yourself. Knowing your bladder and bowels are empty can help.
Getting used to the sensation of having your prostate touched can help, too. Practice with an anal sex toy, like a butt plug, or your fingers.
Be sure to set the mood so that youre turned on and primed for action. Light candles, watch porn, or engage in some good old-fashioned masturbation or foreplay to get there.
Finally, be sure to lube up real good. Applying a water-based lubricant will allow for easier penetration and make for some easy gliding if stimulating your prostate externally.
What Causes Prostate Cancer
Experts arent sure why some cells in the prostate gland become cancerous . Genetics appear to play a role. For example:
- Youre two to three times more likely to get prostate cancer if your father, brother or son has the disease.
- Inherited mutated breast cancer genes and other gene mutations contribute to a small number of prostate cancers.
Also Check: Does Enlarged Prostate Affect Ejaculation
Stop Getting Stressed Out
Stress is a big problem for a lot of men. It can cause heart and mental health problems and affect your prostate.
This happens because stress can weaken your immune system and cause problems with your hormonal balance, both of which can potentially affect your prostate.
Thats why its important to take the time to relax, go on a vacation, or just nap from time to time. That way, you can lower your stress levels and your risk for disease.
Tips For A Healthy Prostate
More than 190,000 new cases of prostate cancer are diagnosed in the U.S. each year, according to the American Cancer Society. Fortunately, there is a lot you can do to keep your prostate healthy as you ageand stay ahead of the game. Heres what Christopher Saigal, MD, an assistant professor of urology at UCLAs Jonsson Cancer Center, says to do:
1. Keep a healthy weight and exercise regularly.
2. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Tomatoes, watermelons, pink grapefruits, guava and papaya contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy and kale also are good choices.
3. Let your doctor know if you have a family history of prostate cancer. Having a father or brother with prostate cancer more than doubles a mans risk of developing this disease.
4. Include more soy in your diet from sources such as tofu, soy nuts or soy flour or powders.
5. Dont smoke.
6. Eat more selenium-rich foods such as wheat germ, tuna, herring and other seafood and shellfish, beef liver, kidney, eggs, sunflower and sesame seeds, cashews, mushrooms, garlic and onions. Selenium reduces risk of prostate cancer.
7. Get a PSA blood test and digital rectal exam annually, beginning at age 50. Men at high risk, such as African American men or men with a strong family history of prostate cancer should begin testing at age 45.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more,
Don’t Miss: Does Enlarged Prostate Affect Ejaculation
How Is Prostate Cancer Diagnosed
Screenings are the most effective way to catch prostate cancer early. If you are at average cancer risk, youll probably have your first prostate screening at age 55. Your healthcare provider may start testing earlier if you have a family history of the disease or are Black. Screening is generally stopped after age 70, but may be continued in certain circumstances.
Screening tests for prostate cancer include:
- Digital rectal exam: Your provider inserts a gloved, lubricated finger into the rectum and feels the prostate gland, which sits in front of the rectum. Bumps or hard areas could indicate cancer.
- Prostate-specific antigen blood test: The prostate gland makes a protein called protein-specific antigen . Elevated PSA levels may indicate cancer. Levels also rise if you have BPH or prostatitis.
- Biopsy: A needle biopsy to sample tissue for cancer cells is the only sure way to diagnose prostate cancer. During an MRI-guided prostate biopsy, magnetic resonance imaging technology provides detailed images of the prostate.
How To Milk The Prostate Right
How to do it properly. It is very difficult as they may affect different diseases some of them are very dangerous, such as prostate cancer, which is known as a great influence on a large male population. In lesions warning in May, trying to trade in the prostate, which should be on a regular basis to work as a treatment.
Maybe turn the word sounds strange to you. This means that a massage in this region, we say, and this can be done independently, without external assistance. Heres how you do it correctly.
- First, in the area must be mitigated.
- Thus, to urinate or relax your intestines to eliminate the stress of the body.
- It is important to keep nails short and trim, in order to avoid the failure of the delicate skin inside your rectum.
- Hygiene is also very important. Wash your hands and body thoroughly.
- To make things easier to put the latex sterile gloves on his hands, you will use for milking your prostate. In addition, some water-based lubricant, resulting in some of your fingers.
- As a first step, slowly, introducing a finger or more into his anus. You must return, and then click to press a finger on the navel from the inside.
- You know, when you raised the prostate, where you will feel your fingers are small, round, that the lamp has a size of a large walnut.
- Now, when you find it, it starts slowly, massage with some waving people on both sides, and without pressing too hard on the central part of which is rich in nerve endings.
- Do not scratch with nails.
Don’t Miss: Cialis For Bph Dosage
What Are The Symptoms Of Prostate Cancer
Early-stage prostate cancer rarely causes symptoms. These problems may occur as the disease progresses:
- Frequent, sometimes urgent, need to urinate, especially at night.
- Weak urine flow or flow that starts and stops.
- Painful urination .
- Painful ejaculation and erectile dysfunction .
- Blood in semen or urine.
- Lower back pain, hip pain and chest pain.
- Leg or feet numbness.
Eat More Legumes And Whole Grains
Legumesare high in folate, potassium, iron, magnesium, and fiber. They are quite versatile, and you can add them to stews, casseroles, soups, and salads. You can also eat legumes as a side dish with your favorite herbs and spices.
Soybeans are legumes that have been shown to help keep your prostate healthy. Soybeans containisoflavones, which are considered phytoestrogens. Choose whole soy foods such as tofu, soy milk, edamame , and tempeh.
To help keep your prostate healthy, eat more unprocessedwhole grains,and limit refined grains. Refined grains are stripped of certain nutrients during the refining process. Unprocessed whole grains such as oats, brown rice, barley, and quinoa are excellent choices that can keep your prostate healthy naturally. An easy way to determine whether a packaged food is 100% whole grain is to look for whole grain as the first ingredient.
Also Check: Does An Enlarged Prostate Affect A Man Sexually
Eat More Fruits And Vegetables
One of the ways to keep your prostate healthy is by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Fruits and vegetables do a lot of good to your body. Aside from being tasty, fruits and veggies are chock full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory compounds. These help strengthen your body and lower your risk for prostate cancer.
Its always a good idea to eat less meat and incorporate more veggies and fruits into your diet.
Ways To Stay On Top Of Prostate Health
The nut-sized gland called the prostate lies between the base of your penis and your bladder. This small gland has a mighty job: It must produce the seminal fluid that carries your sperm into a partner and allows you to ejaculate.
When your prostate isnt healthy, you dont feel well, either. Although the most common condition that affects your prostate is benign prostatic hyperplasia , the most deadly is prostate cancer, which kills more than 34,000 men in the United States each year.
Because the prostate sits so near the bladder, if it gets too large it can interfere with your ability to urinate. Although BPH doesnt cause cancer, both BPH and prostate cancer have similar symptoms, including urinary incontinence, dribbling, and failure to void urine.
Prostate cancer is rare. However, BPH is common, with its risk increasing as you age.
Our physicians at Men’s T Clinic® are specialists in mens health. Thats why we encourage you to adopt the following five prostate-healthy lifestyle habits, no matter how old you are. And fortunately, prostate-healthy habits increase your overall health, too.
Read Also: Does Enlarged Prostate Affect Ejaculation
Choose Foods That Can Reduce Inflammation And Help With Better Prostate Health
For better prostate health you want to choose foods that can reduce inflammation or at least not promote it. These foods are largely found in the Mediterranean diet, which includes oily fish , lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains , and foods that provide healthy fats such as avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.
Wednesday 4 October 2017
Hey guys, we know that talking about your prostate can be a little uncomfortable. You might not know where or what it is, or you might have only heard about it in stories about older men having difficulty peeing or the doctor sticking their finger up you know where to check on it.
Below, weve got all the details about what your prostate is, where it is and what it does. Well also discuss how it might change as you age, and any changes or symptoms you should keep an eye on and tell your doctor about.
Don’t Miss: Does Enlarged Prostate Affect Ejaculation
How Does A Person Prepare To Receive A Prostate Massage
One quick FYI is that prostate massages can make people feel like they have to pee, so the person having their prostate massaged should probably empty their bladder beforehand. Then you and your partner should take deep breaths. Deep breathing activates the bodys relaxation responsewhich is good for everyone involvedand a relaxed anal sphincter is a happy anal sphincter . Keep in mind that the more relaxed and turned on one is, the more comfort and pleasure theyre likely to experience.
Another thing to remember: The physical position may make receiving a prostate massage feel better or more feasible. Its not a guarantee, but some people find that being on top makes anal penetration easier, SELF previously reported. Your partner can kneel with your hand between their legs, for instance. With that said, it will likely take some experimentation to figure out which position feels best for the person receiving a prostate massage.
Stop Smoking Drink Less
Lastly, smoking and drinking pose a big risk to your health. While not directly related to your prostate, smoking can potentially cause hormonal imbalances and introduce carcinogens to your body. Both of these things can increase your risk for prostate cancer.
Heavy drinking can also cause problems to your prostate. Studies have found that men who drink more are at a higher risk of developing prostate cancer when they grow older.
Thats why its a good idea to quit smoking and cut back on your drinking if youre a heavy drinker.
Also Check: What Is Perineural Invasion In Prostate Cancer