What You Need To Know About The Prostate Is Riding A Bike Bad For Your Prostate
The main purpose of the prostate is to produce semen, a milky fluid that sperm swims in. During puberty, the body produces semen in a large number of cases, including enlarged prostate. This fluid causes the prostate to swell and cause a number of bladder-related symptoms. This is why the prostate is important to the body. It can be caused by many factors, including infection and inflammation.
A enlarged prostate can also cause blockages in the urethra. A blocked urethra can also damage the kidneys. A patient suffering from an enlargement of the prostate may have pain in his lower abdomen and genitals. If pain is present, a digital rectal examination will reveal hard areas. A doctor may prescribe surgery or perform an endoscopic procedure. If the enlarged prostate is not completely removed, it will shrink.
While the size of an enlarged prostate will influence the extent of urinary symptoms, men may experience a range of urinary symptoms. Some men have minimal or no symptoms at all. Some men will have a very enlarged prostate, whereas others will have a mild enlargement. Generally, the symptoms can stabilize over time. Some men may have an enlarged prostate but not notice it. If they have an enlarged colon, their physician can perform a TURP procedure.
Best Noseless Option: Hobson Pro Hub X2
Noseless saddles aren’t necessarily better for your prostate than other types of seats, Dr. Yih says. However, if you don’t have luck with other saddles, or you just want to give noseless a try, this version from Hobson is a great choice.
It contains high-density foam gel padding for long-distance comfort, along with seat pad width adjustment so you can customize the fit to your body and preferences. Plus, you can use it on your stationary exercise bike, too.
Buy it: Price:$89.95
How Often Should You Ride A Bicycle To Stay In Shape
Cycling gets you in shape and keeps you in shape. Riding a bicycle is not only fun, its an excellent form of aerobic exercise. Whether you choose cycling or some other activity, MayoClinic.com recommends that you need at least 2 1/2 hours of aerobic exercise each week to achieve and maintain good physical fitness.
Recommended Reading: Prostate Cancer Osteoblastic Or Osteolytic
Best For Performance And Racing: Specialized Romin Evo Comp Gel
Jakub Novak, head coach at ProCyclingCoaching and former World Tour cyclist, recommends checking out the saddles from top bike seat brand Specialized. “Most of the saddles are focused on blood flow,” he says.
While this saddle ranks as one of the more expensive prostate bike seats options in our list, it’s worth every penny if you plan on racing. It features an aerodynamic profile designed with speed in mind, as well as supportive foam and gel inserts to maximize comfort. Best of all, its patented design has been lab-tested to ensure blood flow to sensitive arteries.
Buy it:BackCountry.com Price:$130
How Much Cycling Is Healthy
A daily cycle ride of 20 minutes is enough to stay healthy. Regular cycling helps in burning around 1,000 calories a week, and even cycling at a mild pace of 12 mph will help you burn 563 calories per hour, says research. Insufficient physical activity is one of the leading risk factors for death worldwide.
Read Also: Chemo Drug For Prostate Cancer
Tips To Ensure Comfort While Cycling
Cyclists often forget that the use of their bicycle has to be adapted to their age and body type. Every rider must consider that cycling may also negatively influence their health beyond all benefits of physical activity.
Bicycle riding is a fantastic way of exercising and prevents many diseases, particularly those of cardiovascular nature. Mountain bike riding is an antidote against obesity. Thats why gyms all over the world have lines and lines with recumbent bikes and upright bikes.
However, the bike has been accused of a long time as the cause of genital numbness, erectile dysfunction, and chronic prostatitis.
The bicycle saddle needs to fit the body of the rider. The best option is to customize your bike, whether you are a prostatic patient or not. It is also important to consider your body movements while cycling. For example:
- If the saddle nose goes on down inclination, it exerts less pressure to the urogenital area
- If the bike seat is too high, the compression to the perineum will be proportionally increased
- The bike saddle should not point too far forward or back
- The inclination must be right, because most styles run for a horizontal saddle position, while others induce the rider to adopt a more aerodynamic body position.
- When pedaling, the legs have to execute swift movements, and the push swing is even when the cyclist extends the knee.
Exercise And Lose Weight
Exercising and losing weight are some of the best things you can do to promote prostate health. Many studies show that moderate or vigorous exercise reduces risk of BPH and urinary tract symptoms and helps with prostatitis as well. Exercise also benefits your cardiovascular health and can help prevent other health and sexual problems such as erectile dysfunction.
If you are overweight, losing weight is one of the most important natural changes you can make in improving your prostate health, whether your concerns are cancer, BPH or prostatitis. A study published in the Journal of Urology found that overweight men, especially men with a high amount of abdominal fat, have an increased risk of BPH. If you are looking to shrink the prostate, losing weight can help you reduce your prostate size and help relieve annoying and frustrating urinary symptoms. On top of that, weight loss can reduce your risk for prostate cancer and help relieve prostatitis, too.
Read Also: Is Zinc Good For Prostate
Aikate Comfortable Bike Saddle Road Mountain Mtb Gel Bicycle Seat For Men And Women Provides Great Comfort For Riding Bike
as of January 1, 2022 7:25 pm
- Made of PU leather and real silicon gel, super elastic, comfortable and breathable bike saddle seat
- Ergonomically designed, This fashion and streamlined saddle is designed to reduce the resistance and shock, that increase the riding speed and save your enegry.
- Excellent shockproof and maximum firmness. Light weight,hollow design to make you feel cooler, Thick elastic comfortable and breathable, Can maintain a comfortable ride for a long time.
- Designed for unique anatomy, with the hollow core and deep center cutout, this saddle will provide you the comfort you need. You will feel no pressure on your prostate making sure that in time your sensitive area will not be affected
- Easy installation for bike saddle seat which is suitable for all kinds of bike, Easy to wash, Best choice for riding essentials.
Alcohol Wont Worsen Prostate Symptoms
Urology Meeting: Drinking OK Low-Carb/High-Fat Diet Inhibits Prostate Cancer
May 22, 2006 If youre a drinker or an Atkins dieter, theres good news for you from this weeks annual meeting of the American Urological Association in Atlanta.
Among the findings:
- Drinking alcohol even more than six drinks a week doesnt make the symptoms of an enlarged prostate any worse. In fact, men who drink more than is otherwise good for them have fewer prostate symptoms and better sexual function than teetotalers.
- A low-carb/high-fat diet slows the growth of prostate tumor cells.
- Americas increasing rate of prostate cancercancer matches increasing consumption of meat, fats, and oils in prepared foods, ice cream, salad/cooking oil, margarine, and vegetable shortening.
Recommended Reading: Ejaculation Problems With Tamsulosin
Might Cycling Affect The Prostate
Whilst prostate problems and benign prostatic enlargement can affect nearly one in two men over the age of fifty and one in eleven men may get prostate cancer making it the most common cancer in men, there does not appear, from the literature that we are aware of, to be a causal link between cycling and prostate enlargement or prostate cancer. However there is some evidence that trauma from bicycle riding can irritate a mans prostate and could exacerbate, and some suggest lead, to prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome. A recent study by published in the Journal of Mens Health lead by researchers at University College London on erectile dysfunction and infertility and prostate cancer in regular cyclists found no link between cycling and infertility and or between erectile dysfunction and cycling. It did however find that there was an increased risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer in those men over 50 who cycled over 3.76 hours per week and particularly in those men who cycled more than 8.5 hours per week.
Also it is known that cycling may transiently increase a mans prostate specific antigen level PSA levels are often used as a key test of possible prostate problems so men who are due to have a prostate test should avoid significant levels of cycling before a PSA test to avoid a possible false reading.
A couple of articles and discussion fora that it may be interesting to look at include:
But Is Cycling A Mortal Enemy Of Your Prostate
Other studies show that excessive cycling could irritate the prostate or aggravate prostatitis. Scientists of University College London did not discover any connection between cycling and man sexual performance.
Nevertheless, cyclists who ride for more than eight hours a week have a higher risk of prostate cancer than cyclists who ride for less than four hours . Besides, for cyclists who tend to practice to overexertion, the bike seat may level up the indicators for the PSA test .
Besides these problems, the risks of cycling well depend on the type of seat and the exercises intensity. We should be careful not to overexert ourselves in riding, especially if we are high-risk patients.
Also, consider bike saddles. Some of them are made of leather and are not breathable at all. These leather saddles increase the temperature in the perineal area. Additionally, they create pressure upon the pudendal nerve and may cause a saddle sore, numbness, and other problems .
You May Like: What Color Ribbon Is Testicular Cancer
Can You Drink Beer With Prostate Cancer
Takeaway. Scientists still need to carry out more research on the potential links between alcohol consumption and prostate cancer risk. However, it is possible that heavy drinking increases a persons risk of developing the disease. For people with prostate cancer, drinking in moderation is generally safe.
Avid Cyclists Could Have Higher Prostate Cancer Risk
A new study fuels the ongoing debate over the health risks of bicycle riding for men: Researchers found that cyclists who bike more may face a higher risk of prostate cancer, but not a greater chance of infertility or erectile dysfunction.
The findings aren’t definitive, and they conflict with previous research on impotence and infertility. Other experts pointed to the study’s weaknesses, and lead author Dr. Milo Hollingworth, a research associate at University College London, acknowledged that the findings are “difficult to interpret.”
“Men shouldn’t worry about increasing their risk of prostate cancer by cycling,” he stressed. “Men should cycle as much as they did before. The benefits for your heart, lungs, whole body and mental health are much more important.”
Previous research has suggested that bike riding for more than three hours a week boosts the risk of mild to moderate erectile dysfunction, said Dr. Chris Oliver, a consultant orthopedic surgeon with the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh in Scotland. Other studies have also linked bike riding to infertility in men.
In the new study, researchers surveyed more than 5,000 male cyclists from 2012 to 2013.
Eight percent of the men reported erectile dysfunction problems, although they weren’t more common in men who biked more. The investigators did find links between erectile dysfunction and three factors — high blood pressure, smoking and older age.
Don’t Miss: Finding Prostate Externally
Is Cycling Bad Or Good
Cycling is easy and can be fitted in your daily routine. It is a great activity that can help protect against serious conditions such as heart attack, stroke, some kinds of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, obesity, and depression among many others. So, cycling may be good for your knees if done correctly.
Does Cycling Affect The Prostate
Prostate cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer. One way of preventing or reducing the risks of prostate cancer is by exercising regularly.
If youre bicycling a lot or riding to and from work every day then youve got the exercise part more-or-less covered. But you might wonder whether the activity is harming you.
Afterall, it does involve a lot of sitting.
Cycling may cause an increase in prostate-specific antigen levels in men and could irritate the prostate to possibly lead to prostatitis. Yet, there is no data to show that cycling leads to prostate cancer, enlargement or even worsen existing prostate enlargement symptoms.
So, if youve been fretting over the thought that cycling is tied to prostate cancer you should stop now. The thought, not the cycling.
Your long cycling commute has way more benefits than drawbacks.
Still, I understand why you might want to know a bit more about how cycling affects the prostate. So, I hope this post helps.
I am absolutely not an expert but I did do a little research and what comes next is what Ive managed to learn.
Recommended Reading: Zinc And Prostate Cancer
Now Supplements Prostate Health Clinical Strength Saw Palmetto Beta
as of January 1, 2022 7:25 pm
- TARGETED PROSTATE SUPPORTIVE NUTRIENTS: Combination of botanicals and nutrients that support a healthy prostate gland
- CLINICAL STRENGTH SAW PALMETTO, BETA-SITOSTEROL, AND LYCOPENE: Features ingredient strengths that are comparable to those that have been used in clinical trials
- CERTIFICATIONS/CLASSIFICATIONS: Made without ggluten, dairy free, egg free, halal, kosher contains gelatin
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods .
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
Xmifer Oversized Bike Seat Comfortable Bike Seat
as of January 1, 2022 7:25 pm
- Extra Wide Bike Seat: Xmifer oversized bike seat with high density foam and dual spring suspension design makes it great for your prostate and tailbone relief. Extra padded bike seat helps you say goodbye to the pain and enjoy the fun of riding a bike now
- Easy to Install & Universal Fit – Xmifer bicycle seat comes with 2 mounting tools plus reflective armband so you can adjust its height and angle while installation. Best bike seat for mountain bike, spinning bike, exercise bike, road bike, cruiser bike, electric bike.
- Ergonomic Design Bike Seat- Looking for a smooth ride? Xmifer comfortable bike seat comes with dual anti-shock rubber ball for shock absorbing and breathable airflow vent in the middle for heat-dissipation. Also long soft nose design will not obstruct thigh moving during your ride
- Waterproof Bicycle Seat: Xmifer comfortable bike seat comes with microfiber artificial leather which is waterproof and wear resistant. Smooth and anti-scratch. No more messy wet bicycle seat after rain. Simple wipe and on the go
- Night Light Safety Strap- Safety comes first! Xmifer bike saddle comes with free reflective tape which are great for any outdoor activity at night! You will be visible for drivers. Perfect reflectors for bike, running, jogging, dog walking, bicycle and more
Recommended Reading: Is Cranberry Juice Good For The Prostate
When Should I Take A Week Off From Cycling
As an alternative, you can work with how you feel and/or use measurements such as heart rate variability to determine when you need a rest. If you do this, however, you should still take a break every 3 to 6 weeks and if you dont need to, maybe you arent training hard enough on your focused training blocks.
Can Bike Riding Cause Prostatitis
Can bike riding cause prostatitis? Cycling is great exercise for you, but it can lead to repetitive trauma to your prostate. Riding a bike can cause irritation to the prostate, which can lead to chronic prostatitis or chronic pain similar to chronic pelvic pain syndrome . Cycling can also negatively affect your fertility. Only a small number of riders get prostatitis from riding their bikes, but it is good for all male riders to take preventive action and know how to recognize the signs prostatitis.
Also Check: Does Retrograde Ejaculation Go Away
Best Value: Specialized Body Geometry Comfort Gel
If you consider yourself a casual rider, this may be the saddle for you. Another great, but less expensive Specialized bike seat, it checks all of the boxes to consider when buying a bike saddle for prostate health.
Think: plush foam and gel inserts for comfort, an anatomically-designed saddle groove to improve blood flow, and a wider seat to support your soft tissues.
Buy it:MikesBikes.com Price: $49.99
Bicycle Riding: Good Or Bad For Mens Health
Urology Times Journal
Cycling has multiple benefits, and steps can be taken to prevent genitourinary injury.
Bicycling across the globe is increasing as a means of exercise and transportation. Clinicians need to be knowledgeable about the health benefits and risks of cycling so they can educate and care for their patients who ride.
The overall health benefits of cycling are tremendous. Cycling reduces the incidence of cerebrovascular accidents, coronary artery disease, hypertension, dyslipidemia, obesity, and diabetes mellitus. Strong inverse relationships have also been demonstrated between commuter cycling and all-cause mortality, cancer mortality, and cancer morbidity among middle-aged and elderly study participants.
Despite these benefits, cycling commonly leads to injury, with up to 85% of all recreational cyclists citing an overuse injury. Given unbalanced pressure distribution when on the bike, the neck, hands, wrists, lower back, knees, and perineum are the regions most frequently affected by cycling.
Cycling has been associated with genital numbness, priapism, infertility, elevated PSA, erectile dysfunction , lower urinary tract symptoms , and prostatitis. Several of the studies that posited these associations, however, were underpowered, did not use validated clinical outcomes, or had insufficient control group comparison. Consequently, the current data on cyclings impact on urologic and sexual function continues to evolve.
Impact of cycling on urologic health
You May Like: Tamsulosin Ejaculation