Natural Remedies For An Enlarged Prostate:
- Beta sitosterol: is a plant sterol which has been shown to help reduce the symptoms of;BPH, specifically by improving urine flow and the ability to empty the bladder.
- Vitamin D: The impact of vitamin D on prostate volume and BPH has shown promising results; Vitamin D analogues of up to 6000 IU/day have shown to decrease prostate volume in BPH patients.
- Curcumin: has been shown to significantly lower prostate weight and prostate volume, as well as reduce the expression of IGF1 among growth factors in prostate tissue.
- Zinc: Zinc supplements protect the prostate gland and suppress inflammation and enlargement.
- Boron: Strong evidence has shown that boron may play an important role in protecting men from prostate cancer. This powerful, yet often overlooked mineral reduces prostate cancer risk as well as lowering PSA levels, according to some studies.
- Pgygeum Phytosterols found in plants produce an anti-inflammatory effect, helping to relieve the uncomfortable symptoms of BPH.
Personal And Family Medical History
Taking a personal and family medical history is one of the first things a health care provider may do to help diagnose benign prostatic hyperplasia. A health care provider may ask a man
- what symptoms are present
- when the symptoms began and how often they occur
- whether he has a history of recurrent UTIs
- what medications he takes, both prescription and over the counter
- how much liquid he typically drinks each day
- whether he consumes caffeine and alcohol
- about his general medical history, including any significant illnesses or surgeries
What Does The Procedure Involve
During the TURP procedure, your surgeon will remove a portion of your prostate. You will likely be placed under general anesthesia, so youll be unconscious and unable to feel pain. Or you may receive spinal anesthesia, which numbs the nerves in your lower body so you wont feel pain.
Your surgeon will use a long thin scope, called a resectoscope, which will allow them to see your prostate gland. They will insert it through the end of your penis. Then they will insert a surgical tool through the scope to remove a portion of your prostate. The amount removed will depend on the shape and size of your prostate.
Once your surgeon removes the scope, they will insert a catheter into your penis to allow urine to flow following surgery. It will also help remove any blood clots that may form.
The entire procedure typically lasts one hour.
Don’t Miss: Enlarged Prostate Sexuality
When To Contact A Medical Professional
- Less urine than usual
- Back, side, or abdominal pain
- Blood or pus in your urine
Also call if:
- Your bladder does not feel completely empty after you urinate.
- You take medicines that may cause urinary problems, such as diuretics, antihistamines, antidepressants, or sedatives. DO NOT stop or change your medicines without talking to your provider.
- You have tried self-care steps for 2 months and symptoms have not improved.
Are There Any Risks And Side Effects To Prostate Massages
The anal mucosa and the anus itself are very sensitive,” Hong explains. Although the anus is built to stretch to a certain extent, it doesnt self-lubricate, meaning without proper precautions anal stimulation can cause pain and tearing . This means that its super important for everyone involved to prepare for giving and receiving a prostate massage . Its also worth mentioning that this might feel a bit uncomfortable at first. As SELF previously reported, making sure youre getting in sufficient amounts of foreplay is a big part of lowering the odds that youll deal with things like pain and tearing.
Read Also: Can An Enlarged Prostate Cause Constipation
Various Treatments For Enlarged Prostate
Before opting for treatment, your doctor will do a few tests to see if the prostate enlargement is severe. If your condition isnt good, the doctor will recommend the following treatments. Along with the disease, the doctor will consider your prostate size, age, health, and if you suffer from any other medical conditions.
- Alpha-Blockers for BPH.;The doctor will recommend this to loosen the bladder neck muscles and its fiber in the prostate. When the power is relaxed, it is easier to pee, and there will be an increase in urination. You will not pee frequently. It is effective after two days of taking the alpha-blocker. Some of the alpha-blockers are Hytrin, Uroxatral, Flomax, Rapaflo, and Cardura.
- 5- Alpha-Reductase Inhibitors for BPH.;It is one of the ways on;how to shrink the prostate.;It blocks hormones that grow the prostate glands, thus reducing the prostate size. There are two types of 5- alpha-reductase inhibitors, namely Avodart and Proscar. These inhibitors are effective after three to six months.
- TUNA Treatment. TUNA is a short form of transurethral needle ablation and is one of the trusted;prostate enlargement home remedies. This treatment procedure uses two needles, which carry high-frequency radio waves that inflame a particular region in the prostate. The treatment allows men to have good urine flow and decreases the BPH symptoms. You can do the treatment at home; the doctor will use an anesthetic to prevent burning sensation.
With A Massager Strap
If youre playing with sex toys, you can really mix it up by playing with the different vibration settings, as well as pressure and depth.
- Pressure. Controlling pressure when using a toy is easier, especially when youre playing solo. Try pressing the toy against the prostate using more or less pressure till you find your sweet spot.
- Depth. Depth is another area where toys win out since reaching can make it hard to go deep, if thats what you crave. Try different sized anal toys or get a longer one that you can insert as deep as your bottom desires.
- Vibrations. You can buy prostate massagers that offer up multiple speed and pulse settings. Play with the different settings to find your preference. Up the vibes as you get closer to orgasm.
- Sensation. Some prostate massagers have an attached external stimulator to give your perineum some sweet lovin while the other end penetrates. Who doesnt love a hard worker?
Want a little more?
If your partner has a penis, you can kick things up a notch with penis-in-anus penetration. Prostate stimulation for you, penile stimulation for them and a happy ending for you both.
Different positions can make reaching and pleasuring the prostate easier. These positions work for external and internal prostate stimulation, alone and with a partner.
You May Like: How To Pleasure A Woman After Prostate Surgery
The Baking Soda Formula For Cancer
To make the baking soda natural cancer remedy at home, you need maple syrup, molasses or honey to go along with the baking soda.
In Dr. Sircus book, he documented how one patient used baking soda and blackstrap molasses to fight the prostate cancer that had metastasized to his bones. On the first day, the patient mixed 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of molasses in a cup of water.
He took this for another 3 days after which his saliva pH read 7.0 and his urine pH read 7.5.
Encouraged by these results, the patient took the solution 2 times on day 5 instead of once daily. And from day 6 10, he took 2 teaspoons each of baking soda and molasses twice daily.
The next day, the patient had a bone scan and too other medical tests. His results showed that his PSA level was down from 22.3 at the point of diagnosis to 0.1.;
Another baking soda formula recommends mixing 90 teaspoons of maple syrup with 30 teaspoons of baking soda.
To do this, the maple syrup must be heated to become less viscous. Then the baking syrup is added and stirred for 5 minutes until it is fully dissolved.
This preparation should provide a;10-day supply of the baking soda remedy. 5 7 teaspoons per day is the recommended dose for cancer patients.
Care should be taken when using the baking soda remedy to treat cancer. This is because sustaining a high pH level can itself cause metabolic alkalosis and electrolyte imbalance. These can result in edema and also affect the heart and blood pressure.
Prostate Health And Supplements: Know The Facts
However, not all prostate problems are life threatening. In fact, as the prostate gland tends to grow larger with age, its not uncommon for men over 50 years old to experience some type of prostate issue .
Still, even the symptoms of noncancerous prostate issues, such as painful urination and ejaculation, can greatly affect quality of life .
Supplements are often advertised to support prostate health or help reduce symptoms that are associated with prostate conditions, but you may wonder whether these products are effective.
This article reviews the safety and efficacy of several common ingredients found in prostate supplements.
- Acute or chronic prostatitis. This is characterized by inflammation of the prostate. In some cases, prostatitis is caused by a bacterial infection, while other times the cause is unknown.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia . This noncancerous enlargement of the prostate often leads to lower urinary tract symptoms. Its one of the most common conditions in older men.
- Prostate cancer. This form of cancer develops in the prostate. Its the fourth leading cause of death in men worldwide.
While the early stages of prostate cancer may be asymptomatic, prostate problems are often accompanied by uncomfortable symptoms, such as (
- the frequent urge to urinate
- waking up in the middle of the night to urinate
- erectile dysfunction
- pain in the lower back, hips, or pelvic area
You May Like: Can Prostatitis Go Away On Its Own
Different Signs Of Prostate Problems
There are different;signs of prostate problems;that men go through. One of the signs of a prostate problem is difficulty in peeing. If you take a long time to pee, consult a doctor. Another sign of a prostate problem is when you strain to pee. If your urine flow isnt good but weak, it is a sign of a prostate problem. And when you go to pee, it starts, stops, and starts again. If this happens regularly, it is a sign of prostate problems.;
If you keep peeing frequently and havent had any liquid to drink, it is one of the obvious;signs of prostate problems.;If you wake up often in the middle of the night to pee, you could have a prostate problem. It is essential to see a general practitioner if you feel you have an enlarged prostate, even if the symptoms are mild. If you find blood in your pee, it is better to visit the doctor immediately before the condition worsens.
However,;signs of prostate problems;start from the age of 40. These are due to the cell changes in the testicle, which lead to prostate enlargement.
How Is Yale Medicines Approach To Treating Enlarged Prostate Unique
“Urologists at Yale Medicine can give you a personalized approach to prostate care for both benign and malignant conditions,” says Dr. Honig.;
Doctors at Yale Medicine work closely with specialists across all disciplines at Yale New Haven Hospital. Our doctors are dedicated to providing the latest;treatmentsall personalized to meet the needs of each patient.;This collaboration between different departments and teams sets Yale Medicine apart in its standard of care.
Also Check: External Prostate Massage For Prostatitis
Understanding The Importance Of Your Prostate
Many men do not understand what their prostate does and how it can impact their lives. The prostate is a small gland that is about the size and shape of a walnut that is located below the neck of the bladder. The urethra runs through the center of your prostate, from the bladder through the penis, letting urine flow out of the body.
Your prostate can become larger as you age, and usually begins to grow around the age of 40-50; this is a normal part of aging. Eventually, this growth can lead to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, better known as BPH.
As the prostate enlarges, it presses on and blocks the urethra, causing bothersome urinary symptoms such as:
- Frequent need to urinate both day and night
- Weak or slow urinary stream
- A sense that you cannot completely empty your bladder
- Difficulty or delay in starting urination
- Urgent feeling of needing to urinate
- A urinary stream that stops and starts
If you suffer from the above symptoms, you are not alone. BPH is the leading reason men visit a urologist.3
How Is Benign Prostate Enlargement Diagnosed
If your GP suspects that you have an enlarged prostate, youll be asked to complete a questionnaire to assess your symptoms.
Each question has five possible answers that carry a score, and your overall score indicates the severity of your symptoms.
Your GP will also want to rule out other conditions that cause similar symptoms to prostate enlargement.;
You may have a number of standard tests, such as urine tests, plus some more specific tests, such as a;blood test that measures PSA.
Read Also: How To Massage A Mans Prostate
You May Like: Does Cialis Shrink The Prostate
How Does Prostate Growth Occur
One of the central and important body organs in the male reproductive system is the prostate. It is located below the bladder and borders the urethra. The prostate takes urine from the bladder. Its function is to assist in making fluid in the semen, which bears sperm from the testicles. After men age, the size of the prostate goes from a walnut to an apricot.
The prostate gland goes through;two stages of growth. The first is when you are in your teen years. During this time, it grows bigger by two sizes than it is. After twenty-five years, it grows more, although it turns out to be a complication if the growth continues. It is termed prostate enlargement, which exhibits negative implications on prostate functions.
Prostate growing is a noncancerous disease. The tissue layer that borders the prostate stops it from external growth. It results in the prostate gland thrusting the urethra. But, there are;natural remedies for enlarged prostate.
Natural Remedies For Enlarged Prostate
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
The prostate grows
The prostate is a walnut-shaped gland that wraps around the urethra, the tube that urine flows out of. The prostate is part of the male reproductive system. One of its main jobs, along with other organs, is to add fluid to semen. This is the fluid that carries sperm.
The prostate gland starts out small and has two main phases of growth. It doubles in size during the teenage years, then continues to grow again after age 25 throughout the rest of a mans life.
An excessively enlarged prostate results in a disease known as benign prostatic hyperplasia . Eventually, an enlarged prostate can clamp down on the urethra and restrict the flow of urine from the bladder. This leads to problems such as:
You May Like: Can Bph Cause Constipation
How Do You Find The Prostate
Now for the how-to: You can first access the prostate via the perineum, a spot right in between the testicles and the anus. Communication is important during every step. Even before you begin, consider talking to your partner about what feels right for both of you. You can decide on things like how many fingers might feel best. You can agree on whether a firm touch or a lighter touch is in order. Maybe as you talk things through, youll discover you both feel comfortable enough to explore and see what feels right in the moment. That way, even if prostate massage isnt something you regularly want to incorporate into your sex life, youll have explored it in a way that feels safe and fun for everyone involved.
A New Treatment Option For Bph
Experts at University Hospitals now offer a new, minimally invasive approach to treat BPH called UroLift®.
Instead of removing prostate tissue, this procedure implants a device that pulls the prostate away from the urethra on both sides and holds it in place. This widens the urethra and restores normal urine flow.
Its like opening a curtain, says UH urologist Irina Jaeger, MD.
This procedure is a nice alternative, because the side effects are very minimal, it can be done in the doctors office in 15 minutes or less and very little sedation is required, she says. And the results are pretty instant.
UroLift®has been in use for six years. Studies have shown that the procedure is safe, effectively relieves symptoms and does not affect sexual function.
The only side effects are a little irritation immediately after the procedure. Patients are typically back to their normal routines within a day or two.
For more information about UroLift® and other treatments for BPH, or to schedule a consultation with a mens health expert, call or visit our website.
You May Like: Is Viagra Good For Enlarged Prostate
Prostate Problems Caused By Drinking Water
If you drink a lot of water, you might very well be creating prostate problems for yourself.
But, before we go further, let me just say I DO drink a lot of water each day myself. In fact, I drink over half my body weight in ounces and, that is something anyone with prostate problems or who wants to avoid prostate problems should do in my humble opinion.
But, at the same time, it can be dangerous.
Make your prostate GROW.
And even turn you into a girl!
Well, it is not that water is bad.
Frankly, it is essential for your prostate health.
It is that the plastic bottles you get water in or storing that water in that is the main villain.
Turns out, plastic has estrogenic compounds in it.
What does that mean?
It means, you are ingesting lots and lots of estrogen which can give you girl-like features , cause fat gain and, even worse for guys like us, make our prostates blow up in size like a balloon.
Personally, I am going to get a water filter.
I used to lug around these 5 gallons of water in plastic containers but am getting an under-the-counter water filter instead, and use glass jars to drink out of.
You may want to do the same.
At least, if you do not want a sex change.
Just something to consider about your prostate problems if you like to drink bottle water.