How Safe Are Prostate Supplements Made With Saw Palmetto And/or Beta
- Which saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol supplements passed or failed ConsumerLab.comâs testing and review
- What saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol can and cannot do for your health
- Which other ingredients in prostate formulas may or may not be helpful
- The dosages of saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol used in treating prostate enlargement
- Potential side-effects of saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol
A New Treatment Option For Bph
Experts at University Hospitals now offer a new, minimally invasive approach to treat BPH called UroLift®.
Instead of removing prostate tissue, this procedure implants a device that pulls the prostate away from the urethra on both sides and holds it in place. This widens the urethra and restores normal urine flow.
Its like opening a curtain, says UH urologist Irina Jaeger, MD.
This procedure is a nice alternative, because the side effects are very minimal, it can be done in the doctors office in 15 minutes or less and very little sedation is required, she says. And the results are pretty instant.
UroLift®has been in use for six years. Studies have shown that the procedure is safe, effectively relieves symptoms and does not affect sexual function.
The only side effects are a little irritation immediately after the procedure. Patients are typically back to their normal routines within a day or two.
Questions To Ask Yourself About Enlarged Prostate Treatment
When you discuss the treatment options for an enlarged prostate with your doctor, keep these points in mind:
- How much are my symptoms bothering me?
- Do they keep me from doing things I enjoy?
- How long do I want to deal with them?
- Am I willing to accept small risks to improve my symptoms?
- Do I understand the risks?
- Am I ready to do something about this problem?
Also Check: Can Prostate Cancer Be Prevented
Also Check: Surgery On Prostate To Improve Urine Flow
What Medications Should I Avoid With An Enlarged Prostate
Men with an enlarged prostate should not take medications that contain antihistamines or decongestants. These agents are often found in over-the-counter cold, sinus, and allergy medications. To understand why, it helps to review some prostate anatomy. The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that produces seminal fluid.
Foods To Eat And Avoid To Prevent An Enlarged Prostate
Disclaimer: Results are not guaranteed*** and may vary from person to person***.
As we get older, our bodies can sometimes become more susceptible to certain perilsâtake for example an enlarged prostate.
Fifty percent of men who are over the age of 60, and 95% of men over the age of 85, suffer from an enlarged prostate gland or benign prostatic hyperplasia . BPH typically occurs as a man agesâthe prostate gland can enlarge and compress the urethra, obstructing the flow of urine.
In men, urine flows from the bladder through to the urethra. BPH blocks the flow of urine through the urethra. The prostate cells will slowly begin to multiply, creating an enlargement that places pressure on the urethra . The bladder needs to use more force to push urine through the body as the urethra narrows.
Eventually, the bladder muscle will become stronger and thicker, yet much more sensitive, resulting in the need to urinate frequently. Since the bladder muscle canât overcome the effect of the narrowed urethra, urine remains in the bladder and is not completely emptied.
Youâre probably asking: âWhat can I do to prevent an enlarged prostate?â
I have good news for you: If you follow a diet that is rich in certain vitamins and minerals, you can keep your prostate healthy and lower your risk of developing BPH.
Read Also: How Do I Know If I Got Prostate Cancer
Can A Tablespoon Of Oil Really Help Your Prostate Health
Opting for a tablespoon a day of an oil-based dressing can Mediterranean diet help deter the chances of mortality with prostate cancer.
Research has shown these dressings incorporated with the recommended daily oil intake showing a 13 percent lower risk of death from prostate cancer than individuals that did not change their diets.
The research also found adding one ounce of nuts per day correlated to an 18 percent lower risk of prostate cancer mortality and an 11 percent reduced risk of death.
Although additional research needs to be conducted to validate the findings, Richman has stated,
Overall, our findings support counseling men with prostate cancer to follow a heart-healthy diet in which carbohydrate calories are replaced with unsaturated oils and nuts to reduce the risk of all-cause mortality.
How To Reduce Prostate Size
This article was medically reviewed by . Dr. Litza is a board certified Family Medicine Physician in Wisconsin. She is a practicing Physician and taught as a Clinical Professor for 13 years, after receiving her MD from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health in 1998.There are 13 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 65,131 times.
The prostate gland is a part of the male reproductive system that can enlarge with age, putting uncomfortable pressure on the urethra. This can cause urinary difficulties, urinary tract infections , and even bladder stones. By making lifestyle changes and using medication, most men can reduce their urinary troubles. A few men, though, may need to consider minimally invasive or traditional surgery options to feel their best.
Recommended Reading: How Deep Is The Prostate
Using Pads Or A Sheath
Absorbent pads and pants can be worn inside your underwear, or may replace your underwear altogether. These will soak up any leaks.
Urinary sheaths can also help with dribbling. They look like condoms with a tube coming out of the end. The tube connects to a bag that you can strap to your leg under your clothing.
When To See A Doctor
If you don’t see a reduction in symptoms or if your symptoms worsen, you may need to undergo a different treatment plan.
The first higher-level treatment is to begin taking prescription drugs for an enlarged prostate. One class of medication is an alpha blocker. These medications, such as Flomax, Rapaflo, and Cardura, work by relaxing the affected muscles around the prostate to encourage urine flow.
Another type of medication is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Examples of these medications include Proscar and Avodart, which are long-term medications that help to block the production of dihydrotestosterone and shrink the size of the prostate.
Surgery and Minimally Invasive Procedures
For moderate to severe BPH, you may need a medical procedure to relieve your symptoms. There are a variety of procedures, including laser therapy, microwave heat, or prostate tissue compression. Partial prostate removal and full removal are more invasive but may be necessary for extremely large prostate glands.
Recommended Reading: Stage 4 Prostate Cancer That Has Metastasized To The Bone
Diet & Exercise Tips For Prostate Health
“What can I eat to reduce my risk of developing prostate cancer?” This is one of the most common questions physicians hear from men concerned about prostate health. Undoubtedly, many hope that their doctor will rattle off a list of foods guaranteed to shield them from disease. Although some foods have been linked with reduced risk of prostate cancer, proof that they really work is lacking, at least for now.
Tips For Prostate Health
There are several other lifestyle changes that may help keep your prostate healthy. Try making these changes to your routine:
- Fill your plate with fruits and vegetables. While youre at it, choose whole grains or legumes on the side.
- Steer clear from supplements. There arent any studies that prove supplements can help lower your cancer risk. If you do take supplements, discuss them with your doctor first.
- Move your body most days of the week. Getting in consistent exercise is not only good for your overall health, it may also improve your mood. You dont need a gym membership either. Try a brisk walk around your neighborhood or go for a short hike. If you havent exercised much in the past, your doctor may suggest a good routine you can follow to get started.
- Keep your body at a healthy weight. Your doctor may even refer you to a dietitian if you need some extra help creating a weight loss plan.
- Make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your cancer risks and to have a prostate exam. Recommendations for screening vary, but its generally a good idea to get checked when youre in your fifties or if you have an elevated risk of developing cancer.
Last medically reviewed on April 10, 2017
Don’t Miss: Prostate Cancer Cases Per Year
What Are The Symptoms Of Bph
Some common symptoms that men tend to experience when they develop benign prostatic hyperplasia include:
- There may be an urge to urinate often. .
- Nighttime urination causes sleep disturbances.
- The urine stream tends to become weak due to the obstruction in the urethra.
- The urine stream may also be frequently interrupted during urination.
- Urine may leak after the man has urinated.
- Initiating a urine stream can feel difficult and uncomfortable.
When these symptoms persist, and the patient fails to obtain the right treatment for the condition, benign prostatic hyperplasia may lead to some of the following complications and more serious symptoms:
- Urine control may be completely lost.
- There may be damage to the bladder.
- The kidneys may become damaged due to infection, caused by an obstruction in urine flow.
- Frequently affected by urinary tract infections.
- Some patients may find that there is blood in their urine.
Prostate Health And The Microbiome
For a long time, scientists believed that the stomach was a sterile environment due to its gastric acid that melts everything in its path. However, in the early 1980s, they discovered the gut microbiome, the group of bacteria that survive gastric acid and influence our physical body and our mind.
There is growing evidence that the gut microbiome has a role to play in the development and treatment of a slew of conditions, including prostate cancer. Nonetheless, there still needs a lot more research in order to document the relationship between microbiome and the prostate gland.
Be that as it may, a healthy gut microbiome can promote a healthy prostate gland. The following are some great tips on how to keep gut bacteria happy:
- Eat your vegetables
You May Like: What Happens When Prostate Is Removed
Managing An Enlarged Prostate
People with BPH are encouraged to maintain a healthy lifestyle and make certain modifications to help manage the condition’s symptoms.
Stress exacerbates the symptoms of BPH. This leads to an increase in the need to urinate. People diagnosed with an enlarged prostate are encouraged to take up yoga and medication to help deal with stress. It is good to stay relaxed, spend time with friends and family, and take up a relaxing hobby.
An increase in weight worsens the symptoms of BPH. It is good to take up exercising and follow a fitness regimen.
Several over-the-counter pills worsen the symptoms of BPH. It is best to discuss any supplements and medicines you may take with your doctor at Max Hospital while you are under enlarged prostate treatment.
Restrict the intake of fluids in the evenings. This is particularly true of caffeine and alcohol. This will help reduce the number of times you feel the urge to urinate at night.Also Read about enlarged prostate surgery
If you want to have alcohol, consider wine/whiskey rather than beer, which has high water content.
Sugary Foods & Refined Carbohydrates
Known as high-glycemic carbohydrates, this group of foods doesnt benefit anybody, particularly when consumed excessively. Think of:
- Refined cereals
Due to their presence in your body, your blood sugar starts soaring to concerning levels. Thus, insulin levels are bound to raise, which encourage in their turn the production of sex steroid hormones. These have been found to contribute to prostate cancer development.
Don’t Miss: How Is The Prostate Removed
Alpha Blockers: Risk And Benefits
These BPH medications work fast to address symptoms, but they are not without risk. These drugs work by lowering blood pressure and may contribute to dizziness, headaches, weakness, and other side effects. In addition, they may result in sexual performance issues, including difficulty ejaculating. The impact on your blood pressure will certainly need to be evaluated so that other health issues are not adversely impacted. Although these drugs do tend to lower cholesterol, there is some evidence of long term negative effects on heart health.
You May Like: Foods That Kill Prostate Cancer
Aim For A Healthy Eating Pattern
Instead of focusing on specific foods, dietitians, physicians, and researchers tout an overall pattern of healthy eating and healthy eating is easier than you might think. In a nutshell, here’s what experts recommend:
You May Like: What Is A Prostate Vibrator
Why Choose Bens Natural Health Supplements
At Bens Natural Health, our motto is to combine holistic healing with modern science.
Bens Natural Health is the worlds first high-quality, all-natural, scientifically proven clinical supplement company.
Our supplements are effective, natural and 100% side effect free.
Moreover, at Bens Natural Health, we have four rules for all our supplements:
- We only use the highest quality ingredients
- We only use them if independent, peer-reviewed double-blind studies prove they work
- With all our supplements, we find a way to get every ingredient into a single bottle
- We always formulate them in clinically significant doses of the most bioavailable form
And, finally, all our supplements come with a 30-day money-back guarantee on any unopened bottles.
We pride ourselves on offering excellent customer service. We offer a free health consultation where you can ask questions and receive tailored advice from our expert health consultants.
Food Items You Can Easily Consume
Read Also: How To Cure Inflamed Prostate
Which Foods Can Worsen Prostate Disease
1. Non-Grass-Fed Beef
The connection between prostate cancer and the consumption of mass-produced beef was established by the American Institute for Cancer Research more than twenty years ago.
Beef that is produced for mass marketing is raised on foods cows are not meant to eat, like corn, grain, and soy. These foods invoke chemical responses in the cows digestive tract to fight what is perceived as a foreign substance. The presence of these unnatural elements may be part of why men who eat non-grass-fed beef are 12% more likely to suffer prostate cancer than men who eat organic, grass-fed beef free of additives or hormones. This is also true of lamb and pork raised with feed not suited to their metabolism to a slightly lesser degree.
2. Non-Organic Chicken
Factory-farmed chickens are tainted with hormones, antibiotics, and steroids that affect the growth of the animal and the substance of its meat. When birds ingest foods they are not evolved to digest, digestion creates toxins as tissue is grown to 200-300% of their normal size. Chicken contains heterocyclic amines, which have been shown to induce prostate cancer in rats and damage DNA in cultured human prostate tissue.
The saturated fats in most dairy make it problematic to prostate health. Dairy tends to undermine the overall low-fat diet that is best for prostate health. So get your calcium from salmon, greens, and almonds instead of dairy.
5. Spicy And Acidic Foods
What Foods Should I Avoid
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juices, smoothies, cake, ice cream.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal.
- Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
- Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Root vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
- Some condiments or sauces: often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
- Unhealthy fats: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Due to their carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
Don’t Miss: Surgical Removal Of Prostate Gland